The Area of Watauga Lake
Watauga Lake (Watauga Reservoir) is located in the town of Butler, Tennessee. The lake is surrounded by the Cherokee National Forest, which encompasses 655,598 acres of land.
The lake is approximately 16 miles long, with 104 miles of shoreline and measures 265 feet at the deepest point deep. The lake varies by 9 feet in normal years to account for potential flooding at high rain levels.
A Brief History of Watauga Lake
The reservoir was created by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) in 1948 when the dam was finished. Construction began in 1942 but was paused because of World War II. Progress resumed in 1946.
The original town of Butler is now at the bottom of the lake. “New” Butler is located a few miles away.
What's Near Watauga Lake
Here’s a brief list of the things you can find near Watauga Lake, Tennessee:
- Sugar Hollow Retreat. Most noted as a wedding venue with serene views.
- Appalachian Boat Tours. A recreational boat rental agency for use on the lake.
- Butler Museum. The Watauga Lake was flooded over the town of “Old Butler,” and this museum recounts the stories of the residents and the town’s history.
- Blue Hole Falls. Breathtaking views, a small museum, and a swimming spot.
- Bayview Family Campground and Marina. Forty-two campsites, 35 boat slips, and 10 jet ski slips that are seasonally leased.
Misty Oaks Real Estate in Tennessee
Misty Oaks Real Estate has a proven record of assisting clients with Watauga Lake, TN, real estate needs, whether they are buying or selling.
We have lived in the area since 2007 and are ready to make your dreams a reality. Contact us to discuss your ideal home or tract of land and let us go to work for you. There is no other place like Johnson County, Tennessee. We represent clients buying and selling in our region.